I've got some 700x32's tucked under VO's 45mm hammered fenders and
they fit fine on my Hillborne.  I tried to fit a 40mm tire in there
and it was a no go so you would need larger then 45mm fenders.  I took
a measurement of the frame and the front fork right around where my
fenders sit and it's about 50mm's of clearance.  That leaves you with
limited choices.  You might be able to modify a slightly larger fender
and still fit it in there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neutralbuoyancy/5472880725/in/set-72157607896493013/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/neutralbuoyancy/5782663355/in/set-72157607896493013/