So, gave the Sam a few rides after adjusting the headset and it
started indexing again, primarily in the dead-ahead position, and
resumed scaring the hell out of me twisty curves.  So I decided to
just replace the headset.  Had the shop that built the bike install an
IRD Interloc as opposed to the bearing swap discussed above.  I
ultimately decided this wasn't something I wanted to do again anytime
soon and given that a considerable portion of the cost is labor which
I don't feel presently competent to do myself I just went ahead and
replaced it.  Frankly, I'd have sprung for the Chris King if one had
been available for immediate install.  I now appreciate that bikes are
subject to considerable stress in the headset and for me the peace of
mind factor is worth the upgrade.

Examination of the old headset indeed revealed signs of brinelling.  I
was surprised that such a small defect in the surface of the race
could have such a pronounced effect on handling.  Thank you Mark and
Steve at Saturday Cycles in Salt Lake City for getting it done so I
can take my Sam to Durango this week!