A story I've neglected to tell here...

A month ago, the kids and I were riding the Greenbelt (our in-town
bike/walking trail).  I usually take notice of other bikes along the way,
hoping to catch the fella that had a green Quickbeam (only other Riv I've
seen on the Greenbelt, aside from my Rambouillet).   A couple of miles
along, there was an elderly gentleman sitting on one of the benches with his
bicycle parked beside him (a Schwinn, if I remember); I remembered him
because he had a brown sprung saddle and a handlebar bag, which you never
see (75% of the bikes on this trail are NEXT BSO's from WalMart).  We
usually say 'Hi' to whoever we pass, but continue to roll along at a good
clip.  We rode out to one of our usual turn-around points, and was about
halfway back when we encountered the gentleman again.  I spotted him far
enough ahead to notice that he had seen us and was stopping, so I slowed up
a bit as we approached, when he hailed me....  "Can we talk for a minute?
It's not often you get to see one of Grant Petersen's designs out on this
trail..."   So he and I ended up chatting for about 20 minutes.  Nice fella,
Mr. Brooks, said he used to run a bike shop, had retired almost 20 years
earlier.  Said he loved Grant's bikes from back then, and was excited that
he'd just gotten a Bridgestone on ebay (I can't remember if it was an MB or
an XO).

As we rode away, my 9-yr-old daughter said "I know, your bike's famous..."
  Well, at least in our house, it is...

Thing is, I love the name Rivendell.  I knew about Rivendell as a bike
company, but I had no idea what the heck a Rambouillet was.   I bought the
bike because it was an awesome bike, regardless of the name.   Yeah, I think
I kinda wished it said Rivendell instead of Rambouillet;  but, at the same
time, I can see how reserving that label for customs might not be a bad
thing, either.    (If it wasn't for money, I'd 'almost' order a custom
Rivendell that was a copy of my Rambouillet, to have 'Rivendell' on it.)

But by the same token....  if I lock my bike up outside a restaurant, and it
says 'Rambouillet' on it, and no one knows what it is other than 'an old
steel bike', then maybe it'll get left alone, whereas perhaps the name
'Rivendell' just might have a bit better chance of being known as an
expensive bike, maybe being a bit more of a target then?

But, even called a Rambouillet, I had a stranger stop me on the trail to
look at my Rivendell... so, maybe, it doesn't really matter... those in the
know will know, and those that don't, don't care...