Thomas and Rene,
Thank you both for your thoughtful responses.  You both provided the
information I was hoping to learn.
My commute is a little over 8 miles on paved roads.  My load is balanced in
terms of weight between my two panniers, but my clothing causes one pannier
to bulge more than the one that contains papers and other work supplies.
In summary, it appears that while the attachment system is a bit less simple
than "plug and play" it is not cumbersome.  I really like the style of the
toursacks and the fact that they are one unit with a handle.
Thomas, thanks for the link to the photos; they were worth a 1,000 words.
It appears the bungee ball cords attached to the top of the rack would
secure the toursacks quite well for my purposes.
Again my thanks to both of you for your assistance.
Best regards and safe cycling,
Erl
Washington, DC