I've commuted daily on the Custis Trail -> Mt Vernon Trail ->14th
Street Bridge -> Maine Ave -> Capitol Hill route for the last seven
years, missing only about thirty days when the snow has just been too
deep to be able to push my bike through.

As others have noted, the biggest problem comes from the partial
thawing during the day, when tire tracks and footprints create ruts
that then refreeze overnight.

My initial attempt at studded tires was Nokian 700x35 Hakkapeliita
W106's.  The lack of studs except along the centerline means that the
first re-frozen tire groove you hit can easily take you down.  Then I
got 26" Nokian Extreme (for the front) and Mount and Ground (for the
rear), thinking the the M&G would be a compromise that reduces rolling
resistance.  But again, the lack of sidewall studs means that it has a
hard time climbing out of ruts.  So the front end would go where I
steered, but the back end would get stuck in the rut and slide along
it until it was close enough to perpendicular that it could climb out
of the rut.  It was a delicate balance to stay upright.  Eventually I
bought a WXC 300 for the front and moved the Extreme to the back.
That combo works pretty well, but cannot handle deep snow because the
tires are too narrow to float on top of the snow.  Maybe in fact there
are no tires that would do the job, but if I had the money it would be
great to try something like a Surly Pugsley with studded Endomorph
tires.

FWIW, I also tried some 700x40 Hakkapeliita W240's that have four rows
of studs.  They're basically like an Extreme but just a little bit
narrower and of course bigger diameter.  I found these to be
considerably more hairy to ride on the usual horrid conditions around
here.  Because they're a little narrower, they just were a little
harder to keep on course when the ruts and footprints are grabbing
them.  At the same time, the bike I was riding with those (my
Rivendell Rambouillet) has down-tube shifters, so part of the extra
difficulty relative to my MTB was that I had to take a hand off the
handlebars to shift, instead of just using the handlebar-mounted thumb
shifters on the MTB.

All of that said, one day as I was riding down the Potomac on a mildly-
grooved icy/snowy surface a week after the most recent snowfall, I saw
that coming the other direction was a middle-aged oriental woman on a
"Flying Pigeon" style bike with regular rubber tires.  I have no idea
how she stayed up, but she did.

Nick