If you're interested and local, why not go take a look at it?

I was following Riv very closely in the late 90s to early 2000s, much more
so than I do now, and there is nothing in the ad (or the fact that it's
been up and down so many times) to suggest that there is something wrong
with the bike.

The LLs were being made right around the time Riv transitioned from
Waterford to Joe S so it could be either, and there are probably some
details that will tell you which.  For instance, I know Waterford used its
own serial numbering system (which you can find on their website).  I
suspect Joe S used a different system.  Also, around this time may have
been when Riv started using its own "Rivendell" casted bottom bracket shell
(tho I'm not too sure about that).  A close up look at the lugs would also
be helpful, as I think Waterford didn't do any custom modified lugs, and
Riv was starting to do it.

As for the price, if this is a Waterford, it's a little high (I personally
think if you like the bike, the color, and it fits, then around $1K is a
fair price for a Waterford Riv).  If it's a Joe bike, I can see myself
paying close to this price if I had the money and the bike fits.  It's true
that to get something similar for anywhere near that price (handbuilt in
the US with fancy lugs, Riv pedigree, by a well-respected and reputed
builder --- and I'm not commenting on whether any of that affects the ride
or build quality, but perceived value being what it is).

Greg