Thanks again for the helpful tips.  Mission accomplished:  Cleaned the
threads with WD40/toothbrush/rag and then chased them with the previous BB.
 Did my Small Business Saturday part by buying the replacement BB at an
LBS.  Had to go to 4 before I found my size, but I don't mind that.  It's
one advantage to living in an urban area, that there are actually that many
and more independent LBS' within close driving range.  Kudos to Silver
Cycles of Silver Spring MD for having it in stock, and to the friendly
staff who helped me.  Got the bike together and had a nice little ride in
our unseasonably-warm weather.  I hope everyone else's weekend is going as
well.  Steve