Several years ago, I was using a traditional brass Silca presta pump head (of
the sort that you can buy from Harris Cyclery). It is a great pump head, but it
has no locking mechanism, so it is full on secure with no release. In fact, it
locked so tightly on to the threaded Presta valves that I often suffered flats
at the seam where the valve joins the tube. Not necessarily at the time of
inflation.

I switched pump heads to a less "tight" fit - including ones with a lever.
(Serfas, SKS, etc.) and the flat problem went away.

When you pump up, is there a lot of friction to remove the pump head?

Thanks,
Sean