I have found that drivers appreciate it when I let them know that they're
behind me. I wave forward when it's safe to pass, and if there's a car coming
that they may not be able to see (or if there's something in road that I need
to ride around, again that they probably wouldn't see) I wave them back. Almost
without exception, I get a good response from motorists.

... Which brings to mind the time that a friend and I pulled up to a stop at a
signal. The motorist who also stopped at the signal rolled his window down to
thank us for stopping, noting that most riders wouldn't have stopped.  Being
guilty of that myself (not stopping) on occasion, I know that there is work to
be done to build good will for cyclists, which is why I try to be as courteous
as possible whenever I can.

--Eric N
Sent from my iPad2 