Thanks for the update about the brevet schedule, Ted. I briefly considered a
research-based and/or democratic approach to scheduling to avoid these
potential conflicts. I quickly reverted to the equivalent of throwing a dart at
a calendar, with some care to avoid major holidays. I hope the dates I picked
work out for most people, but I am certain that they will conflict with at
least two dozen interesting cycling and non-cycling events, not to mention that
curious but not uncommon personal quirk that prevents some people from
committing to anything in advance.

At least randonneuring has become popular enough that there is now a full
brevet calendar that allows riders numerous opportunities to piece together a
full series.