There seems to be a strong endorsement for dedicated brake levers
designed for the longer cable pull.  When I first got this bright
idea, Riv had the levers to go with the brakes.  Time I quit mulling &
got to ordering, the levers were gone but the Travel Agents were still
there.  No worries, thinks I, saves the hassle of messing with bar
tape, shifters, etc.  There may well be a pair of levers in my
future.  I'll never be able to do as nice a job of taping the bars as
Riv did when they built the bike.

dougP