Yes, the slideshow. It makes the homepage heavier than it has to be.
Yet it's one of the most loved features of our site, has been for
years.
The images are downsized to a reasonable level, but you still have to
load them any time a new image is added or your cache is cleared.
For site speed, I'd love to have just one image there, the most recent
campout photo, but the slideshow is by far one of most popular
features on the site, so I'm kinda stuck there.

I think if I removed that, I'd get more heat than if I leave it.

One compromise  is to simply have the most recent photo there on the
homepage with the featured products, and when you click on that image,
you redirect to the whole slideshow, or even better linked out to an
archive of ALL the previous homepage photos we've used in the past.
That way the site would load faster for everyone, and those that want
to watch pictures and simply click out to another page and can wait
for that to load.
Downside is you would get the same image each visit (till we change it
for a new one) instead of the random choice from the bunch.

Interested what y'all have to say about this?
I lean towards faster faster faster, but it might be a hard sell since
most folks seem to like it.

-Dave@riv