Manny,
sfrandonneurs.org is your local chapter.  They have an email list that
is pretty extensive, and folks in the club love giving out useful
advice.  I believe there is a Populaire coming up at the end of
March.  Check the website, search the list.  The best advice I can
give now is eat and drink regularly, ride your pace on a bike that
fits, and have fun.
I've been riding with SFR for about six years now.  Good group of
people and great riding.
Gabe