Neighbor Joe invited me for a ride on his birthday yesterday. We had both
spotted a trail on a map that looked like it might be a good loop over and
around Mt Diablo, so we loaded up our Legolas' (Legoli?) and headed up via
North Gate Rd. At the Junction, we headed towards the summit, but then got
off the road and took the trail less traveled to Green Ranch. Green Ranch
is a former summer home built in 1939 and  designed by William Wurster
(notable Bay Area architect and a former dean of Berkeley's architecture
school).

The home was designed in a modernist style and built on the southeast side
of the mountain. Joe has a picture of the current view and an old picture
of the house at:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_bunik/6914384039/
The empty pool, tennis courts, foundation and fireplaces remain but
everything else was dismantled in 1993 to bring the area back to its
natural state.

We continued past the ruins on the trail to the park boundary. There was a
small gate and a very faded sign that might have once said Private
Property. The trail was obviously seldom used -- grass was growing in it
and the only tracks were deer. We hopped the gate and continued down the
trail heading towards Morgan Territory Road. Eventually the track looked
more used and we came to a much more secure gate with lots of barbed wire.
The public road was on the other side of the gate so we knew we were headed
in the right direction. The gate was high, so Joe squeezed through the
barbed wire fence and I lifted the bikes over to him. I then squeezed
through; no one needed a tetanus shot. We turned around to see the gate
sign: "Diablo Archery Club -- No Trespassing. Danger!"  Good thing we
didn't have our helmets with antlers. The remainder of the ride was less
fraught with danger.

I have a few pictures at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20986098@N04/6773347072/in/photostream

cheers,