I have noticed that too.     On Rivendells with sidepull brakes, it seems
like the pads are always positioned near the end of the slot, since the
brake is positioned for maximum tire clearance.     On Rivs with cantis,
the pads always seem to be best aligned to the rim when near the bottom of
the slot, which maximizes leverage (and modulation, in my experience).
Its all about the details, and they really get it right.

-Matt