For more than a decade, every day, I’ve used Pine Tar Soap as shampoo, body
cleanser, and shaving cream.  For some reason just this morning, this
reality struck me as somewhat remarkable, and so here I will.

I don’t buy or use any other products for the general touch-up of my
physical exterior. I have all of my hair at fifty (in fact, perhaps more
than I’d like on top), little to no discernible gray, no dandruff, no skin
troubles, no funny smells, and most importantly, no hassle. While I can’t
attribute this, from my perspective, generally desirable condition to the
soap directly, I can look at my only (younger) brother and rationally
conclude that I am either comparatively fortunate, or that the soap helps.

My routine is pretty simple. Water on, close eyes, lather hair, face, and
other bits all at once, find razor, shave, and rinse.  When Bar Now is
nearly reduced to a sliver, it gets set atop Bar Next, where it anneals,
continuing the cycle. I cannot think of a single other thing in my life
from which I’ve derived such sustainable utility, ease of use, and value.

For what it’s worth, I work in technology, spend a great deal of time “down
in the valley” and (as we say in Seattle) “up on the mountain” in the
company of corporate directors, BOD members, venture capitalists, partner
senior executives, and every day I work in lockstep with DevOps staff.  I
like to think about stuff, but I’m by no means bohemian. I guess the point
there is that my program seems to dovetail just fine with the rest of
society, and no one’s the wiser.

Perhaps the best news is that my kids, two boys eight and eleven, are on
the same program, and to them it’s a good thing. I feel as if with the help
of Rivendell, I’ve AXE-proofed my home, and that’s worth a lot.

Lather, rinse, repeat.