On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 7:28 PM, Esteban <proto...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually, we have nearly triple the population of Portland, and a huge
> number of riders here in San Diego.  Lots of commuters, but its more spread
> out and less "cultural" than in Portland or along Valencia St. in SF or
> certain neighborhoods in Brooklyn.  We have a lower percentage of commuters,
> but sheer numbers would be competitive at the least.

Boyer explained a bit about the impetus to move in a local interview:
http://bit.ly/ze24Ol

------------------------------
"Velo Cult turned into a destination shop, with people from all over
the world seeking it out on visits to San Diego (a very popular
tourist destination). The shop had a very loyal local following as
customers flocked to Boyer for his steel bikes and the gritty feel of
his shop. But Boyer says San Diegans, on the whole, never really
understood Velo Cult and that the city's lack of support for
independent, local businesses was in sharp contrast to what he'd seen
on visits to Portland.

As someone who has worked as a volunteer on bike advocacy issues,
Boyer was also frustrated at the lack of progress (due in large part
to the dominance of the vehicular cycling philosophy in San Diego) in
building a bikeway network.

"My employees have been waiting for me to make this move for years...
We were in the wrong city," he said."

I'm kind of surprised something like Velo Cult didn't already exist
here yet. Funny that it's being imported from SoCal, but I'm not
complaining!

Best,
joe broach
portland, or