I own one of the original green Sams, 56.  I'm very close to you in height
and build.  5'10", PBH 87.  I run Mavic A719s with Jack Brown Blue tires.
 This bike is a wonderful commuter, set up with Noodles and a small front
rack and large rear.  I have done two centuries on it.  I also have a
Romulus.  The difference between the two bikes is not nuanced and the Rom
is my definite go-to bike when I'm just on a ride and don't need to carry
more than will fit in a small saddlebag (Carradice Barley).

Interestingly, when the Sam first came out Rivendell compared it to the
Homer and suggested they were essentially the same, function-wise.
 Elsewhere Rivendell claimed the Homer was essentially the same as a
Rambouillet (an upscale Romulus), ride-wise, with the only difference
between the two being the Homer's ability to run wider tires.  My
experience with the Romulus and the Sam is that there is a lot more space
between the two than you would be led to believe by their promotional
material.  Now, I haven't ridden a Homer, but if its biases lean towards
the Ram/Rom end of the spectrum, that might be THE ONE.

The Sam is a wonderful bike, comfortable, steady, and true.  I just
wouldn't call it fastish, and if you have a true touring bike I think
you'll find it very similar to what you already have.

D.G.