Yer killin' me.   Your post is exactly what I didn't want to ever
read.

 A single speed bike makes absolutely no sense for me, living in the
mountains and given the kind of on-road riding that I do.  But as much
as I love my decked-out Rambouillet, I thought I might enjoy riding
something lighter and simpler just for the sake of it - extravagent or
not.  So I thought about getting a Simple One both before and after
the close-out deal, but never quite jumped.  (Having a kid in college
makes spontaneous, irrational purchases difficult, even when you know
it's the bargain of the century.)  Sigh...

So I'm wondering:  Why did they discontinue these in the first place?
Anybody know?  Even though I wasn't in a position to get one quite
yet, it was the ONE current model that I actually covetted or "planned
to eventually buy."  Everything else just seems to functionally
overlap too much with the Rambouillet that I alread  have.  I'm
curious...