Cycling is one of the only sports that I know where you don't get
gratification of what you've done until you're finished. So true in the
sport of Randonneuring. If I had to sum up the Last weekend's even in one
word it was wet. So wet in fact that out of the 70ish people that
registered for this ride only 40ish actually came out.  That means 30ish
people stayed inside because they were smart enough that 50 mph winds and
heavy downpours is not ideal bike riding weather. Gladly I met a handful of
people on the forum, Stephen and Bill. At least I wasn't the only dumb one
trying to ride in the weather  Despite all the rain it was a fairly warm 60
degrees out there. Warm enough that I figured rain pants wouldn't be needed
until the first control. Oh how wrong I was. Lucky enough I had Mr.William
to show me the ropes of what to do with the brevet card, receipts and
controls. Once the rain started coming down it didn't really stop. Figured
the rain pants were useless to put on at that point so they stayed in the
jersey pocket. Overall I had a great time mostly due to the company I got
to ride with. I find it interesting that it only takes one ride to really
get to know someone. Having never met Bill in person before I love how with
just 71 miles of riding in the rain you can find out so much about someone.
We exchanged stories, Bill told me a couple of Filippino jokes, talked
about life stuff and made fun of the weather yelling "At least there isn't
any lightning!" secretly hoping that our statement wouldn't be ironic.
There's always a point in any hard ride where you get one of those WTF
moments. My WTF moments was trying following Bill through dirt section of
Samuel P Taylor park. At this point the rain was coming down so hard that
mini streams were washing along the trail and the wind was blowing so hard
that it felt someone was consistently slaping me in the face, and the dirt
getting kicked up from my non-fendered bike was getting on the inside of my
clothes. My only goal was trying to keep my bike upright and keeping up
with Bill. My only thought at the point of the ride was that I wish I was
riding a bike with fenders right now. Like any true ride you only get the
best of the weather when you're done with the ride. We finish at Chrissy
Field with the SF Randonneur volunteurs hosting the post ride picnic
complete with coffee and goldfish crackers! Big thanks to Bill who had to
deal with me. It was a pleasure to ride despite the weather. I can see why
people like doing events like these in good weather.

Pictures proved that my camera didn't break:
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjyMDFuJ

- Manny " My shoes feel like aquariums!" Acosta