Is this thread still active?  I'll post my headset experience:  I bought a
new Sam Hillborne from Rivendell, assembled by them, in April of 2010.
Within one month, the day after completing the Davis Double, I noticed that
my headset was pitted, with a noticeable notch when the bars were turned
straight ahead, thus requiring extra effort to turn away from straight
ahead and spoiling the handling.  Rivendell replaced the headset for me at
no cost.

Within one year, after a month-long tour from the Bay Area to Oregon and
back, the headset had pitted again.  I didn't ask Riv to replace it for
free since this one had lasted longer, and instead bought a Cane Creek
headset from them and had a local mechanic (Stefan at Cycle Monkey in
Albany, CA) install it for me.  When he pulled the old headset out he
showed me the pitting marks on the lower race.  His theory what that
because the "bearing keeper ring" (I have no idea what this is actually
called but it holds the bearings in place while you are assembling the
headset) was left in the headset when it was installed (he gave me the
impression he would have removed it had he done the installation), that the
same points on the bearings always contacted the exact same points on the
race as the headset turned, accelerating wear.  He felt that without the
"keeper" in place they would have rolled more "randomly", slowing wear.

Bottom line: since having the Cane Creek headset installed, I have had no
problems.  Note that I am somewhat of an abusive user; this bike gets
ridden every day, is occasionally hopped up and (as gently as possible)
ridden off curbs, often with a bag in the front basket, and it gets ridden
on rough trails and fire roads from time to time.  I think a lot of owners
might put less wear on their bikes in one lifetime than I have each year.

Daniel