Patrick makes some good suggestions. It sounds like something is preventing the
drive side from closing enough to grip the dropout. As Patrick suggested, make
sure the axle isn't extending beyond the dropout, which would make it
impossible to clamp all the way. This can be fixed by loosening all the cups
and recentering, or by adding a thin washer on the drive side.

You might also try taking the spiral spring out of the drive side. It could be
interfering with the clamping. It's not needed except to make it a bit easier
to put the wheel back in.

Finally, make sure both dropouts are the same thickness. If the non-drive-side
dropout is thicker, it could be keeping the drive side from clamping down
enough. A washer on the drive side would fix that.

--Eric N