Hi Liesl,

I hope you have a great time and I am imagining that you are practicing for
the MidWest Riv Rally in early June.  If not, that's OK, too.

I sometimes forget chain lube and if it rains, I always need it and a rag
to wipe the excess.  Put red shop rag in plastic zip bag.

I have a sleeping bag liner from REI that gives the bag I take a better
temperature range and helps keeps the inside of my bag cleaner.  Here is an
example, although there are many:

http://www.rei.com/product/695429/sea-to-summit-silk-travel-sleeping-bag-liner-traveler
Not cheap but could be worth the money by letting down bag last longer and
stay nicer.

I keep a fairly big, heavy washcloth in one of the outside mesh pockets of
my panniers.  When I come upon clean water I get the washcloth soaking wet
and apply to forehead and other parts for nearly instant relief.

I carry one of the nicer LED flashlights and an adapter to attach it to the
handlebars so that if I am caught out after dark I have a bike light and
then I also use that as a flashlight in my tent, etc.  I use PDW RadBot or
something like that for taillight.

Some folks use a CamelBack.  I just got a 100 oz. and expect to use it this
summer.  Could be more trouble (weight on my back and straps, etc.) than it
is worth but I am trying to drink more as I ride and that is one way to
make sure I will.

I take a light jacket that will keep me dry in the rain unless it is a
downpour and by then I would have tried to find some shelter.

Camera.

I have a folding pocket knife.  Short blade.

I take a spork or a pretty stout plastic spoon.  Can never tell when I
might find yogurt or something similar at a convenience store.

I will think of more and try to post again.  I am getting tired now.

Your daily commute is more than enough to get a person ready for what you
are going to do.  It is the little incidentals that you might miss but
anyone can get along without that stuff for a night or two, especially if
there are lots of friends along.

Best,

John

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 10:25 PM, Liesl <li...@smm.org> wrote:

> Greetings Fellow Rivsters, Well finally I'm going on my first proper
> S24O next weekend (by proper I mean no vehicle "meet you there"
> support) with a few friends.  I'm an avid camper and have ridden cross-
> country on my motorcycle countless times in the olden days–but this is
> my first true bicycle camping adventure. Most of my riding is my urban
> commute, 20 miles r/t, which I do year 'round here in Minneapolis/St.
> Paul .  Here's what I have:
>
> -Saluki with mustaches, B17, MKS touring pedals, a mini rack up front
> and nitto big back rack
> -various bags to choose from depending on load (Baggins Adam, Baggins
> panniers, Shopsack & basket, etc)
> -Eureka Spitfire tent
> -crappy sleeping bag but it'll do
> -snow peak mess kit
> -trangia stove
> -repair kit/tube/pump/water bottle, etc
> -something warm to put on at night
> -flashlight
> -some food
> -a flask with drambuie
>
> Okay!  Gimme your top ten tips!
>
> your pal Liesl Happy-May-Day-to-all-the-Locals in the Twin Cities

John Blish
Minneapolis MN USA