On Tuesday, May 15, 2012 1:40:44 PM UTC-7, Aaron Schmidt wrote:

> At the risk of inciting a religious war, I figured some folks might
> want to know that Campagnolo is coming out with some updated triples,
> (slightly) wider 10 speed cassette (12-30:
> 12-13-14-15-17-19-21-24-27-30), and a long cage derailleur.
>

> http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/05/15/campagnolo-intros-5236-wide-range-cranks-cassettes-performance-triple-cranksets/#more-43869
>

> Does anyone else find this slightly sensible and therefore surprising?

The 12-30 is nice.  I could use a higher gear than 50/13, but I might miss
the 16t cog from my current 13-29.  Guess I'll have to go 11 speed someday
to have it all...

I would rather have seen a 110/74 BCD ultra-compact double than the
triples.   Lighter, simpler, lower Q, all that.  I use a Record Triple
crank as a 46/30 double with a SRAM Apex drivetrain and 11-32 cassette, and
find that to be very useable gearing.

Bill
Stockton, CA