One thing to make sure of is what type of coverage you have via renter's
insurance. Some policies offer "replacement value," which covers you for
the cost of replacing your bike with a like bike at current prices (minus
deductible, of course). Other policies will only cover you for the initial
cost of the bike minus depreciation (and deductible). The first type of
policy is the one I prefer.

My second insurance policy is a secret, locked chamber *inside* my house
where I store my bikes...

Lee
SF, CA