I wouldn't worry about it.  If you're riding a Riv you probably aren't
racing...don't pedal through the corners and keep your outside crank
in the down position if you are turning agressively at high speed (you
should do that regardless of what pedal you are using).  I've used the
MKS touring pedal on my AHH and Bombadil for years and never had a
problem.  I have done long tours, everyday riding around town, fast-
paced but casual group rides.  It's just not an issue.  It's not an
issue on my Fraces or Waterford fixed gear bikes either - same setup:
MKS touring pedals with clips and straps.

A few months ago I put a pair of grip kings on my AHH and haven't had
any problem with that pedal either.  I'm sure you could make the pedal
strike if you wanted, but it would be the result of poor riding
judgement rather than a shortcoming of the equipment.  Platforms=one
less obstacle to getting on your bike and riding it.  I say go for
it!  Good luck!