Peter,
    I lean on the knobs I added just as you might with brake hoods on a
roadie.  The only significant difference is that you can position them
where you want on the slope without worrying about a braking position.  My
upper body weight ends up resting on the fleshy part of my hand between the
thumb and forefinger without the palms or edges of the palms coming into
play.  The angle of the slope just accommodates the knobs beautifully and I
experience no numbness at all.  I will try to get a photo posted when I
review the bike and build in a few days.

Marc