On Jun 7, 2012, at 9:47 AM, Liesl wrote:

Greetings Riv Chicas who read more than post! If you're like me, you have been in situations where you didn't have quite the right tool and/or didn't have quite the 'nough strength. I myself have uttered choice words whilst attempting to remove/install pedals. 1) A normal open-ended wrench is often too thick to fit in there, and 2) if it does fit, it's too short for my small 53 year-old women's hands to loosen them when they're tight and I'm trying to remember that the left side is reverse threaded.

My well-used mnemonic:
To REmove pedals, turn to the REar of the bike. *

(*Assuming the bike is upright, and the wrench handle is above the pedal.)

and, yes, a real pedal wrench is invaluable!

- Jim / cyclofiend.com