learned quite a bit by doing this work by myself.  Removed my STI shifters
and brake interrupters, along with the cabling and housing, and a stem
riser and replaced the stock volpe drop-bars with albatross bars with
shimano MTB brake levers and silver shifters.

Got everything working just great, glued on some cork grips, twined and
shellac'd and am totally enjoying my new ride.  Friction shifters are
smooth as could be and make a whole lot more sense to me than STI does.
 Only glitch I ran into was not realizing exactly where the front
derailleur cable should fit, so when i first attached it the front shifting
was very difficult to do.  All better now thanks to some web-sleuthing.

Will try to take and post a photo tomorrow from my commute...