"it doesn't make sense to keep and store bikes I ride less and less over
time. Periodic culling and adjusting of the bike herd isn't a bad thing. "
Ditto. I just sold my 1998 Joe/Joe Longlow for much the same reasons as
you. That bike took me across the U.S.A. Occasionally I give it a thought
but I really don't miss it.