Love your blog pics. Found them through the Riv blog.

I have toured on forest service roads around Mt. Hood through Cascade Huts.
You might think about heading south starting in Mosier. Go up Huskey Road
to Surveyor's Ridge Road, then Brooks Meadows Road. You hit gravel about 5
miles out of Mosier. VERY low traffic and great views. This is some really
great backroad and forest road riding. If you are a person who always needs
to know where they are and are not good at wayfinding, you'll want to drop
back to 35 via Brooks Meadows Road. On the other hand, if you get the Hood
River Ranger District and maybe the Barlow Ranger District maps from the
forest service, you can plot a course on forest roads pretty far south and
meet up with 26. Who knows, maybe your'll find your way on forest roads
further than that.

You will have to purify water after you leave Mosier, until you get back
onto 35 or 26 or wherever you join up with civilization. You can find some
horse camps and campgrounds if you take the time, but plan on purifying
your water as you go. There are no food options anywhere except on the
highways, so stock up in Mosier.

Mt. Hood Ranger District Maps
http://www.nationalforeststore.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=NFS&Category_Code=R6RD

Can't wait for the photos!