I've met "Guitar Ted" several times. After my failed/abandoned Trans Iowa
attempt in 2011, I showered up and went to volunteer at checkpoint 2 (mile
170-something), which was at a nondescript corner of a couple gravel farm
roads with nothing in sight but corn fields, and yukked it up in the cool,
damp Iowa April with Guitar Ted and some of his buddies until late into the
night. Good times.

Incidentally, that was the day I became an "unracer". Once I realized I had
no chance to even make the first checkpoint in time, I started exploring
back roads on my own and taking pictures. It was much more fun to just
ramble and explore than it was to be racing against the clock. I knew then
that I am purely a bike tourist, with very little racing ability and almost
zero racing inclination.