William,

I do this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pguillam/7538383796/in/photostream

I don't even mess with the flap, though I used to simply run a piece of
elastic tied to the two brass loops, and then hook it over the brass hook
on the tab. The elastic wore out, and it didn't seem necessary, so I never
replaced it. My approach is to simply release the adjustable cord stop, and
once the tension is off, to pull it through the doubled cord. To secure,
reverse the process, and thread the stop through the looped cord, then pull
it tight, using the stop as the "latch". Cheap, easy, and I've used it this
way for years with no trouble.

Frank