Thanks, Jim.  That's pretty interesting.  And not to question the
seller of the mountain bike (who I know is a list member), but the old
Gen 1 catalog excerpts you have posted leads me to think that perhaps
the bike on ebay was actually an early "All-Rounder."  Here's a link
to a set of photos I just found of a bike that looks suspiciously like
the  mountain bike in question, though it's newer.  Some nice pics
here, which is I guess what we were looking for:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drboxer/sets/72157616020239173/

If  the ebay bike was indeed an all-rounder, that would mean it had a
lower bottom bracket and steeper head tube, based on this Gen 1
catalog.  The good news (for me), if that's the case, is that I'm
probably lucky I didn't win the auction.  I have a 55cm XO-1 that's a
bit too small, and is what I was hoping to replace - but it would have
been too similar.  The bad news is that I'm now left lusting to find a
used, early, 26" All-Rounder in a LARGER size, that I wasn't even
aware existed until a few minutes ago....