On Wed, 2012-08-08 at 20:03 -0700, lungimsam wrote:
> I don't need all those small changes and I was wondering if anyone
> makes a good ol' 5-speed cassette, and is it possible to fit on 135 or
> whatever dropouts the Bleriot has? Just thinking ahead to my next
> drivetrain.

There never was a 5.  There may have been 6's, but just try to find one
today.  7, on the other hand, is available, and as far as I can tell, in
every one of the original tooth combinations (although, sadly, not any
longer in all the fancy chrome plated versions).

And at least three of those 7 speed combinations should be of special
interest to Riv owners:

- 13-30 In either 700C or 650B, this makes one of the nicest gearing
sets for road use with a "compact triple" of 24 or 26/36/46 or 48

- 13-34 A superb heavy loaded touring combination

- 14-32 You would be shocked how nice this is with a 650B wheel and a
39/53 crank.  The significance: there are so many 39/53 cranks available
on ebay they're dirt cheap.  I got one with bottom bracket that I used
on my commuter for years, now on my shopping bike, for around $30.  Low
of around 32, high around 100, nicely spaced throughout the range.

With 7 and a spacer, you can use all the sprockets while on the big ring
without excessive angularity or cross-chaining.  Live on the 53, use the
39 like a granny!