Hahaha .. this is funny ...

I "made my stand" with 7 speeds in the 90's.  I bought a bunch of 7 speed
Sachs freewheels and have collected spare cogs and bodies along the way :)
  I tired 8 and 9 .. I thought .... hmmmm .... why ?   lol    More isn't
better ... it's just more .  More shifting ... lol.  7 is a nice balance
for myself of being able to change a wide range of gears without shifting
too much. It's all relative to the person of course ... but if you are not
pleasing yourself ... you're pleasing no one ;)

My favorite cog spacing with a 24/36/48 is a 13/15/17/20/24/28/32 .  Where
I live .. I use them ALL with the 36/48.

BTW ... the Harris Cyclery link above is not a link !  Any other links to
the info of the Shimano group ?