Patrick, I use interrupters on my bombadil with cantis, I am no kind of
expert on them but will tell you what I found. To the best of my knowledge
they work by compressing the housing instead of pulling on the cable so if
you are using too long of a length of housing or cheap housing it might
just go "smush" instead of feeling crisp like you are looking for.  Not
sure if this has already been considered but just thought I would throw it
out there.