Grip Tape. $5 at the skate shop will put gription on every pedal you own.
They have enough stickability to ride fixed offroad with no other
retention.

Skateboard pedal
decks:
http://problemsolversbike.com/blog/comments/how_to_make_skateboard_pedal_decks_for_clipless_pedals/
It makes MKS GR-9s rideable in the
rain. http://www.biketinker.com/2011/projects/griptape-on-platform-pedals/
Wooden inserts for quill pedals was pretty lame:
 http://www.biketinker.com/2011/projects/quill-pedal-skateboard-inserts/

I do like the idea of rubber blocks with half-clips...

I'm a crank about this like I was about Bobike front-loading kid seats...
Philip
www.biketinker.com