Otter wax worked great.
The grid gray bags came out beautiful, waterproof and stiffer.  As
expected, it left a sheen on the fabric.
The key is to not apply too much wax - the grid tries to grab it - use a
blow drier, and rub it in well with your fingers, per the instructions.
My photos show the bags propped up to cure for 24 hours.

<https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-buQmY-h_nT4/UFSLv_rRrJI/AAAAAAAAAO8/aZUCABpCUzE/s1600/aP9150003.jpg>

<https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-j910ad2GzDE/UFSLv7ao7NI/AAAAAAAAAO4/mv-JDrYzpNE/s1600/aP9150004.jpg>

Thanks again to Spenser for his effort !!