On Sep 15, 2012, at 8:19 PM, rw1911 wrote:

I very much enjoy my original 700c All-Rounder, but sometimes wish for
something a little more zippy/sporty.  Looking at the Hilsen (country
bike), it appears to be a newer version of the All-Rounder.  I haven't
found information on the tubing spec, but looking at the geometry
specs, they're pretty darn close.

Other than the brakes, is the Hilsen the newer equivalent of the
original All-Rounder?  Other than the Roadeo, should I be looking for
a used Ram or... ?

The A/R arguably became the Atlantis.

The LongLow was probably closer to the Hilsen.

I'd been riding the QB most of this summer, but recently switched over the Hilsen (immediately crash and clobbered my rib cage, but am now back riding three weeks later...) (d'oh!). Had a great road ride last weekend, and reminded myself what a stable and trustworthy bike that is. Of course, I think that's the true Rivendell design hallmark. The rest is just details.

I've mentioned it before, but think of the Hilsen as a pretty amazingly versatile model. The range of tire sizes alone is enough to make it suitable for whatever you want. A fast road bike you could take into the back country, as opposed to the Atlantis/A/R which is a trail bike you could rig for the road.

Hope that helps a bit,

- Jim

cyclofiend.com / cyclofi...@gmail.com