Well just as finding the right clipless pedal was important, finding the
right platform pedal is important too.  After going to BMX style / size
pedals I've found my sweat spot for my size 13's.  The shoe hasn't really
mattered everything from flimsy sandals to dress shoes.  That's me.. I too
just lift the pedal up at stop signs with my toe.  Only time I really miss
clipless anymore after two years.  I never did experience the muscle
fatigue you experienced.

Good luck finding your way...

Kelly

Note my wife never did finalize the switch.. she rides platforms on tour
but week night club rides she's clipped in.