In my experience, it's even more broad than that--anything that isn't
carbon (or maybe aluminum) and doesn't have brifters, people don't know how
to date.  I have a 2008 Salsa Casseroll, built up with downtube shifters,
but with a racy Specialized Saddle and 31.8mm short reach ergo bars.  A
bike that looks much more "contemporary" by Riv standards.   At the Solvang
Century back in March I was getting comments like, "That's an oldie but a
goodie!"