Jim, I am curious about the age of the woman who commented on your bike. I
had a strikingly different comment last week at my local coffee shop (I
detect some similar tendencies with this group). For the second time in
about two weeks I was complimented on my "new style" commuting bike. My new
style bike is a 1993 MB3, with Alba bars, Brooks saddle, and Nitto racks
front and back. A large Wald basket sits on the back. The girl that
commented on my bike said she likes the look of the new commuting bikes and
was hoping to buy a Surly. She said her father and his friends like to ride
old racing bikes and wear funny bike outfits (her words!). The week before
a student made a similar comment, and asked were he could buy a bike like
mine because he wants to ride to work and old style bikes aren't good for
that (again - his words). It all depends on what you remember. The girl at
the coffee shop was probably the same age as my bike, and I am sure she has
never seen English roadster. I think I know who her father is, and if I am
correct he rides a very new Trek Madone. We will see what they say about my
new Hunqapillar, it should be at the coffee shop next week.  Bob