On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 7:28 AM, Steve Palincsar <palin...@his.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-10-01 at 07:53 -0600, PATRICK MOORE wrote:
>
> > One doesn't spend much time worrying about head protection while
> > walking.
>
> Falls while walking seldom involve a head injury.

I think Steve makes a good point here. It would be silly to wear a helmet
while walking or running because something very odd would have to happen
for a healthy alert person to sustain a head injury while engaging in those
activities. But it seems to me that spirited bicycle riding in the
conventional position which involves bending at the waist and leaning
forward with the head leading the center of gravity does make non-trivial
head impact more likely in a crash.

Like Steve and others, I have had a good number of head-ringing and
helmet-destroying crashes over the years. Some of these crashes involved
risky activities like Cat 3 bike racing but others happened while "just
riding along" solo. Due to these experiences, and because I enjoy riding my
bikes fast, I almost always wear a helmet. But I do agree that riding a
bike in a mellow way -- e.g., pedaling to the local coffee shop -- is a
pretty safe activity that does not mandate wearing a helmet.

Another thought -- perhaps riding a Dutch-style city bike bolt upright
lessens the risk of going over the handlebars and landing on one's head? If
so, that is another reason why I should get a Bullmoose Bosco bar to
further differentiate my city bike from my rando and racing-style go-fast
bikes. I kind of like the idea of a designated bike for mellow helmetless
riding.

- David G in SF