From: rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com [rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com] on
behalf of Jan Heine [hein...@earthlink.net]
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2012 8:48 AM
To: RBW Owners Bunch
Subject: [RBW] Re: Chainsuck: why? Usually described causes don't apply.

On Oct 15, 5:49 am, Michael Hechmer <mhech...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have had chain suck when I mixed shimano or shimano standard rings on a
> sugino crank.

A lot of inexpensive chainrings are made to somewhat loose tolerances.
If your teeth are too thick, then the chain will stick once in a
while. With 10- or 11-speed, the tolerances here are +/- 0.005 mm, and
few of today's smaller makers can meet those demands. With Sugino
moving the production of their less expensive cranks to China, I would
not be surprised if their quality also had taken a further nosedive.

Before we found a good supplier for the chainrings of our new Rene
Herse cranks, we had to measure a lot of chainrings. (We even made a
gauge so we didn't have to measure each tooth separately.) We were
surprised by the variability that some makers had in their tooth
thickness.

Jan Heine
Compass Bicycles Ltd.
http://www.compasscycle.com