Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000252 EndHTML:0000004758
StartFragment:0000002628 EndFragment:0000004722
SourceURL:file://localhost/Users/grant/Dropbox/There%20are%20many%20less%20expensive%20and%20excellent%20alternatives%20to%20Sackville%20bags.doc

There are many less expensive and excellent alternatives to Sackville bags.
Whether they’re a better value depends on lots of things. Our fabric comes
from a small company in Scotland, and there is no better fabric, nor
anyting more expensive. It is tighter, drier (not as waxy, stays good
looking longer) and more waterproof than any other waxed cotton I’ve seen
except Carradice. Carradice, I am sure, sources its fabric from the same
place.  I have good reason to believe this/

It’s not distributed in this country, so we import it to Connecticut at
great cost: About $1200 in freight per shipment, on top of its high cost
per meter.

The leather and hardware are the best. The labor is Connecticutt, and the
quality of the bags—the design, the consistency, the stitching, down to the
heat-sealed thread—is as good and as expensive as it can be. We  have
never, ever asked our bag maker for a lower price.

My enthusiasm for our bags should not be taken as a knock on anybody else’s
bags. Sackville bags are never knockoffs of anybody else’s bags. Never
direct, never intentional. They can’t be totally novel designs, but there
are refinements that reflect a lot of experience with a lot of other bags.  We
had some black Sackvilles early on, but I figure Carradice owns that color,
so no more.
The regular search for “Riv-ish” this or that is understandable, and
although I kind of wish people would just pony up and support us and get
the real thing, I also understand that we’re out of reach for some, and the
fact that “Riv-ish” even exists as a word-ish thing is a complement….so,
thanks