Toshi,

2 thoughts.  First, Hiroshi at Jitensha years ago filed 1-2mm on a brake
slot on one of my bikes.  So I think that's fine.  But, if you're unsure,
some Mafacs had a vertical (oblong) slot instead of a circular mounting
hole in the yoke, which would give you another 3-4mm.  I have one of these
on a 2000 brakeset i'm not using. If you want, I can measure the reach for
you and see if it's long enough.

Greg, also in Oakland, CA, but won't get a chance to get out this weekend.