Marty, I'm with you on wondering how the new Riv low-rack will work
with various panniers.  Euro-Asia Imports has a Gilles Berthoud
Diagonale bicycle shown with panniers that equip that bike, it's a
nice combination:

http://www.euroasiaimports.com/productcart/pc/Gilles-Berthoud-Diagonale-2191p16862.htm

Jim