Thanks Aaron! I agree, the front brake caliper in the photo is out of
tolerance--this is my primary gripe about the San Marcos. My 54cm SM uses a
standard (47-57) reach caliper up front and a long reach (55-73) caliper at
the back. I'm not sure if this is a design flaw or an operator error. For
what it's worth, these little issues are not heinous enough to deter me
from liking the bike because it has excellent handling characteristics and
is fun to ride.

Incidentally, I am currently running the proper reach caliper up front
because I had this nagging feeling that the long reach caliper would fail.