I had a 60cm Orange one in the olden days. Can't remember which brakes were
on it, but I do remember even when the pads were mounted at the bottom of
the caliper, the pad would just be barely off the rim and onto the tire.
Think my remedy was to sand off / round off the top lengthwise corner of
the pad. That allowed it to clear the curve of the tire and get the whole
pad surface onto the rim.